Branson ~ "Where I'm From"

The following is an essay Branson wrote for a school assignment last year. I love this assignment, and I'll be posting Hudson's "Where I'm From" next week. Bran chose the photos and printed them alongside his words. I love it and consider him to have a natural writing flair straight from Granny. A tad reminiscent of her poem, Wonderful Me


Where I’m From
Branson Charles Wilson

I am from a baseball mound, from Wilson Athletics, and a fishing reel in a slow moving stream.

I am from the back porch, and a cluttered house with clothing and shoes covering the floor as if a blanket over a cold woman in the wintertime.

I am from the aspen trees surrounded by the wild blueberries in the great mountains of New Mexico.

I am from the backyard wiffle ball game and blonde hair from Uncle Chris and Uncle Trey and Uncle Luke.

I am from the nonstop action of the day ranging from fishing tournaments at six in the morning to baseball games at eleven at night.

I am from the wise words of my mother, “Remember who you are” and of Cappy, “Everything is a trick.”

I am from Bible studies with my peers and Christian music playing in the car everyday to school along with a prayer by my father to start the day.

I am from the mountains and rivers of New Mexico bursting with bears and rainbow trout. Along with a warm egg casserole and an overflowing bowl of cereal.

I am from the game that changed my life, the battle between man and fish, and a long cast down the cool stream made by my Papa and his fly reel.

I am from the green grass of a baseball field, the strong smell of rainbow trout on the stove, and long hikes along the cliffs of wheeler peak, a man could not ask for a more blessed lifestyle.

Comments

Alyssa said…
I love this! I love that the Lord has given Branson eyes to see the blessings in his life and that he can recognize the things that are shaping him. That he "gets it" is and that he is able to communicate it in writing is simply beautiful.
Bill James said…
Excellent writing! He does take after his great granny. She would be so proud of him in many ways.
So glad he can see the value in the things of nature and loves the Lord.
Daboo