Anybody else ever feel like this?

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness...

Thank goodness! Every so often - like last night - I go to bed with a heavy heart, carrying the weight of the world into my slumber, closing my eyes on yet another unproductive day. Unproductive - not only in household tasks, etc., but even more so in what I perceive of my heart’s growth and of my children’s.

For instance, just from yesterday...
- my kids’ "level 8" (on my 1-10 rating) bickering at my neighbor’s house during a brief late-afternoon swim
- one child telling me I was “ruining his summer” upon seeing the library books I’d researched and poured over and spent the morning collecting (talk about a knife to the gut - that one’s still nearly too tender to write here)
- my desk loaded with papers and packages and school work and art work - quite similar to the way it looked last week (how does it accumulate SO QUICKLY?!)
- bad attitudes from my kids (and me) in general, juxtaposed with my desire that our home would emanate a fun, relaxed environment (um, not today...)
- sometime around 9:00 pm, I mentally decided to QUIT complaining to Corbin about our day. He’d endured a full day at work, and because of what I'd communicated to him, had no frame of reference that behind my discouraging tirades with the kids, I’d also laughed and relished moments of getting to be home with them. And then, despite my resignation to not complain again, I found myself just moments later uttering yet another annoyance to Corbin (and he’s thinking, WHO did I marry??)
- as my head hit the pillow around 11:00 pm, my mind stirred with thoughts of all the ways our day could have gone more smoothly. I stared at the ceiling, nursing stabs of personal failure and discouragement.

In the wee hours of the night, as silver streaks of lightening danced in brilliant leaps outside my bedroom windows, these words from 1 Timothy filtered into my soul and smoothed away all (well, most of) that angst and disappointment I felt from what is actually a very normal day around here.

Be diligent in these matters (i.e., parenting, marriage, writing...); give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them... (1 Tim 4:15-16)


Just simple words, but they penetrated and replaced my discouragement with a resolution to keep plugging, keep fighting.

If God's Word is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, then these words are certainly alive to me today, a boost of incentive to hang in there. Words that inspire me to keep teaching and hugging and training and wiping and holding and listening.

Thank you, Father, for your unspeakable, tender gift of encouragement through your Word. I needed that!

Comments

Alyssa said…
I can't even explain how much your transparency means to me. I'm so glad He gave you that nugget of truth to transform your feelings of discouragement into hope. I pray that stays with you as you try anew each day to live out His Truth. And by the way, you are a GREAT mother!
THIS is why you are a writer. Thanks for sharing from your heart. It spoke to me today.
Sarah said…
To know that someone whose life, parenting and wisdom that I respect still has "normal" days where everything seems to unravel is wholly encouraging to me. I learn so much from watching you parent and love. Thank you for the encouragement from the Word--like cold fresh water after a long hot day. Love you, girl!
Jessica Brogdon said…
You neglected to tell your readers that you spent half your day trying to accommodate our family's needs while stuck in bad weather at the DFW airport. No wonder you felt like you didn't accomplish anything that day! You are a dear friend, TJ, and your words (and God's Word) encourage me. Love you, Jess
Anonymous said…
Excellent. And yes, I've felt the same way, too.
Love you - Amy A.
Sarah said…
We all have these days. I am convicted by the fact that you fell asleep with Scripture in your head. Good thoughts!
TJ, I can probably admit :) that I've felt this way on and off for about the last month...thanks so much for the Scripture and encouragement. G
nikki said…
oh sweet friend...so good to "read your heart" thank you!!!
Krista Sanders said…
To answer your original question...
"YES!!!!!" Thanks for the Word that clears it all up...EVERY time.
Again- glad to be running with you.
Sounds like you need to come to lunch on Wednesday with CF!
Jean said…
My kids are all grown up. My grandchildren are 13, 9, 7, 4, and 2.

One of the things I regret most about being a mom (and one of the things I do best now as a grandma) is to ENJOY my kids. To have fun with them. Often.

It would have made life so much calmer and restful and happier.

I know now that they would look back and remember it with great joy and love and respect.

And so would I.

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.com