Nice Mommy

Evidently, I'm nicer without a voice. At least according to Hudson. In his kindest, most sincere way, he told me yesterday, "Mommy, you're nicer when you can't talk."

It's been nearly 48 hours since I've spoken or sang or yelled or whispered. After Friday's vocal cord surgery, my family has clearly enjoyed a quieter house with my TEN DAY sabbatical from talking. At all. That means not even whispering. (I know, my doc has NO idea what he's asking of me.)


(the bottom note is Basden's writing - "Love TJ")
These notes are fluttering around my home, finding their way to my nightstand and bathroom counter. I'm comforted by the sweet messages, despite my entire family's glee that I'm now a captive audience to anything and everything they want to tell me - uninterrupted. My mom especially finds this amusing.

A few things I'm learning...
- Corbin can relay stories without being interrupted. In fact, he didn't quite know what to do with himself Friday evening as he told our moms about some doctors he works with and I wasn't able to interject. He kept looking at me, waiting for me to add my comments, and he looked quite perplexed not to be interrupted. (I've decided to infer that he and I are a team and my opinions HELP him...)
- Basden has the gift of compassion. When she realized the night before my surgery what would happen and that I couldn't talk for more than a week, she wouldn't leave my side. I found her crying twice because she didn't want me to have to go to the hospital. She cried because I wouldn't be able to read her books on the trampoline (which we've done once), and I wouldn't be able to tuck her in and pray for her at night. We decided my silent prayers are as effective as the spoken ones. Basden has also become mommy to Esther since I'm not fully functional. This isn't totally new behavior, but it certainly is exaggerated this week.
- At 36, it's an awesome thing to still be taken care of by our parents! My parents AND Corbin's parents are all here, taking care of us with meals and movies and just bringing fun and laughter into our home. Charles and Jamie were coming in for spring break and I surprised them with scheduling this surgery while they're here to help. Ha! We all enjoyed dinner together Thursday night around our dining room table, and there's nothing quite like eating and laughing with both sets of our parents.
- Mom and Jamie were both at the hospital all day Friday with me, and it was a flashback to all those hospital trips for babies. I always felt comforted having both moms (grandmoms!) with me, with prayers of the matriarchs in my hospital room during the deliveries of these precious kiddos. It was quite odd to be discharged from the hospital Friday, wheelchair and all, without a baby in my arms.
- There are a lot of people in our city (every city) with deep physical needs. Even in a pre-surgery groggy state as the happy cocktail surged through my IV, I was acutely aware of the people around me who were undergoing surgery for things not nearly so simple as a polyp on their vocal cords.
- Below is my new companion, my never-leave-home(or the room!)- without-it dry erase board. (Thanks, Mom!) The funniest thing about this form of communication is that the kids are writing their messages to ME on this. They'll come in and ask me a question by WRITING it out. Perhaps they've forgotten I can still hear?? And yesterday morning I answered the door to a repair man. Upon motioning (and then writing) that I couldn't speak, he started whispering and gesturing right back to me. Several minutes passed before he realized I could hear just fine and he could speak normally to me. He laughed at himself, embarrassed, and even called to tell his wife about it. Funny funny!


Finally, a picture from breakfast this morning - thank the Lord for a daddy who likes to cook big breakfasts!

See those happy faces?! Smiles that seem to say, "We've got NICE MOMMY this week!"

Comments

Alyssa said…
I had no idea you had surgery! So sorry you have to be speechless for 10 days. It's fun to read about what you are seeing amidst your silence.
Unknown said…
OH My TJ!

How is it that you always end up with surgeries that require not doing that which is so vital to our lives?! First eating when your jaw was wired shut, and now talking!!

Praying that your recovery is swift. Can wait to "hear" what else the next eight days teaches you.
The Safrans said…
Wow, TJ, had no idea you had this surgery coming up when we saw you last week. Praying those vocal chords heal up fast!
M and M Nichols said…
Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way for a speedy recovery!
Dana said…
What a sweet family you have! I hope you have a quick recovery and enjoy meeting with the Lord in new ways this week.
nikki said…
i may consider a surgery if i could get such a nice note from branson on a dry erase board! excited to read more of your "quiet time".
emily said…
Amazing. So glad it went well and so glad I got to see your crew (we missed you) on Saturday. They were precious and Branson won for best t-shirt!! :)

No talking for 10 days- wow. Hang in there.
Anonymous said…
You know, some people just go on a silent retreat for a long weekend. You're such an over-achiever.

:)

Talk to you soon!

Whoops. Or not.
Blue Skies said…
Wow TJ - I'm praying for fast and complete healing. May I inquire as to what prompted this surgery? I am so glad for the lessons this is affording you and your family. The Lord lets no opportunity go wasted, right?!
Krista Sanders said…
The Noisy girl has turned to The Quiet Mommy. Can you tell you've been missed?? You don't post for a month and within 12 hours you get 10 comments!!
Anonymous said…
Hope cords get well soon. Thoughts and prayers from Soperton, BSD
Sarah said…
so sorry to hear about your injury and surgery! however, i will admit that i cracked up while reading this. i can't quite imagine a silent tj! i'm sure your family will love hearing your voice at the end of the 10 days.
Anonymous said…
Good thing you've got a SLP in the family to help those vocal folds get back into shape when you can talk again. Even in silence those kiddos leave me speechless. Praying for a quick recovery!
meh said…
I love your optimism...finding all the positives in a challenging situation and then enjoying them thoroughly!! Praying for a smooth recovery.
Beth said…
TJ,
I hope your recovery is a quick one! As always, I love reading your posts and what you've been learning. Sending love your way from A-Town! :-)
Renae said…
Oh, my sweet friend! I'm so sorry for you. Yes, I can only imagine . . . Glad you have such a precious family to take care of you. :-)