Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lawrence Update - A week out

A quick update on Mike Lawrence through an e-mail from Jeff & Nan -

Today (Saturday) is day seven at the hospital in San Diego. Mike is doing well under the circumstances and in good spirits most of the time. He's out of ICU, and he's been much more active over the last few days. We met with the doctor yesterday, and they still expect a full recovery, which is absolutely miraculous. The doctor said it very bluntly, "Most kids that have a fall like that are looking at death. He's very lucky." We would call "luck" something else, and we are still blown away and grateful to God that our boy is doing so well, even though there is a long road still ahead.

Mike has a serious liver injury that will take some time to heal. His liver is badly lacerated (basically deeply cracked in multiple places), but should not need surgery as long as things continue to move in the right direction over the next few months. The location of the cracks is in a dangerous place (near the biggest vein in the body going to the heart), so the main concerns are reopening the cracks and internal bleeding if Mike were to fall, be bumped, be run into, be hit, kicked, catch a ball wrong, or basically anything that would cause pressure to that organ until it completely heals. It is the internal injury that the doctors are most concerned about and why we will be in CA for a month. Once cleared to travel, Mike will still be on "house arrest" for another three months. Also, Mike's arm is broken, and he's in a cast from hand to shoulder. We'll have follow-up X-rays next week to make sure it is set properly, and then he'll get a more permanent cast. Main concern here is that the growth plate heals well. He also has a facial fracture but this is not something that needs surgery. His bumps, bruises, etc are looking better now with the swelling and bruising beginning to dissipate.

We are scheduled to leave the hospital on Sunday, Oct 12th, and then we will stay together as a family in La Jolla (San Diego), CA for another three weeks. The hotel moved us to the other end of the property and into new rooms. We will be more or less confined to the hotel room, except for short, slow, safe walks (seriously, is that really possible with three little boys??). We've spoken with several specialists who have recommended that we all stay together as a family for this time, so we are going to make that happen. After that, we'll return to North Carolina. There we will try to resume life as "normal" as we can with the added change of Mike's new schedule (still no running, sports, rough play, climbing, etc for those three months). We aren't sure what all that will mean, but we are starting to make the necessary adjustments for life on the other side.

-- physically: liver heals as it should with no new injuries; arm sets and heals as it should, esp no growth plate problems down the road; no surprises along the way; sleep for all of us
-- relationally: that we would love one another even when tired, stressed, bored, jealous, sore, etc. over the next few weeks and beyond
-- emotionally: the trauma of the last week takes a toll that is not measurable but is real nonetheless
-- practically: that we would discover how to make life happen in a hotel room in ways that are stimulating and fun and relationship building for our boys and for us
-- spiritually: that God walk with us and work through us in all things
-- Also, pray for Jan and her son, Jack, who is in the hospital down the hall. Jan is a single mom that Nan has gotten to know over the last few days. She is caring for her sick son. Those of you that have sent food have been feeding her too, she is very grateful.

I'll continue to post updates and prayer requests... Jeff and Nan have expressed multiple times how HUGE it is to be surrounded by such great friends in the midst of this experience. Thanks for your interest and comments here as well - very encouraging.