Family Driven Faith


I love it when friends pass books on to us. This one came highly recommended, with good reason. Read it yet?

In Family Driven Faith, Voddie Baucham challenges parents to disciple their children in such a way as to instill a multigenerational faith that stretches from generation to generation. This book is making the rounds. I started reading it over Christmas and have mentally chewed on the insights for months, intrigued by this author who’s not afraid to push unpopular and un-PC parenting advice.

Baucham is clearly intelligent and well-read. He writes with candor and passion and a spirit of urgency, giving parents a kick in the rear to be intentional and proactive in saturating our kiddos with truth.

My favorite is chapter 4, “Give Him your Heart,” where Baucham describes a biblical worldview and offers practical tools for passing on these truths to our children. Throughout the entirety of the book, Baucham reiterates that it’s the parents’ (not teachers or Sunday school teachers or youth workers) job to spiritually train our children:
“We simply cannot fail to give our children the basic tools they need and expect the “professionals” to get the job done for us.” (pg. 90)

I’ve read few contemporary books with which I wholeheartedly agree. There are typically one or two ideas in any given book that don’t perfectly jive with my opinions, and Family Driven Faith is no exception. The unique thing about this book, however, is that I so totally and completely and fully agree with many of Baucham’s ideas and arguments, and then hugely disagree with about five pages. I read and re-read this handful of pages to make sure I was reading correctly. Baucham’s narrow opinions in one specific area took me by surprise. The thing that saddens me is that while he offers many encouraging and stimulating Scriptural ideas, he inflicts condescending and condemning language along with broad generalizations as he claims this specific opinion to be an absolute Biblical mandate. He thereby imposes an undeniably personal conviction as a standard to which God holds us all. Very disappointing.

So... a stimulating, interesting read, and one I would (for the most part) recommend. Just as with any book, read with awareness. And by the way, if you read Family Driven Faith and can’t figure out what in the world made my blood pressure rise, fantastic. I don’t have a problem with any of Baucham’s methods or opinions, my beef is when he claims them to be TRUTH.
Anyone read this book? Would love to hear your thoughts...

Comments

Krista Sanders said…
Interesting-- it is on my list.... and I can just imagine the 5 pages. Heard that. Wish you had been part of breakfast conversation with C and G! Will have to do that one again. Worth it.
Chrys and Mike said…
hey tj!

the book is on my list as well but i haven't read it yet. i don't feel totally unqualified to comment, though, b/c we are huge vb fans. is he a boat rocker or what? i love it!

my bf goes to his church so we've visited there several times and we've listened to everything of his that we can get our hands on.

some of the things they do are so counter cultural that my head was spinning for awhile. (no nursery?? really?)

but then i got it.

and now we so wish we could find a church like that here.

the families that we met there (including dr. b's) are remarkable and the way they are raising, discipling and teaching their children has greatly inspired us. it can be done. and folks are doing it with excellence. the fruit is obvious.

thanks for the reminder to get my hands on that book soon.

chrys
TJ Wilson said…
Chrys - So glad you stopped by, great to hear from you, and I appreciate your gracious comment. I'm not at ease stating my negative response so candidly, but it's from my heart. I gather VB's church ideas are quite scandalous, but I think he's got some great insight there.
Enjoy the book - and btw, you have a beautiful family!
Renae said…
Haven't read it, but will check it out!

Great to see you back in the blogosphere! :-)
Sabrina said…
Thanks for sharing TJ. I will add it to my list of must reads.
TJ, Kent and I started this book recently, and he is reading it aloud every night before we go to bed. I have REALLY enjoyed it so far, but we are still in the "Sunday school teachers don't raise your kids" chapter. :) I looke forward to getting to the more "meaty" parts of the book. I originally saw it on your reading list for 08 and bought it. So glad I did! Love you, G
Anonymous said…
You stated your opposition so well...excellent! I think you ought to write the author and say the same thing to him. Too bad, when 99% is so good.
Carrie Cooper said…
Just found your blog and enjoy it. I will tell you I have read the book and agree with the book. We don't believe in a nursery either or kids being in other services and I tell you it is a blessing to watch your children grow in the Lord while sitting right next to you and experiencing the same things you are in a whole new way!

We are from the south so that makes a difference and not just any part, the western North Carolina area. We have found out not every part of the south is the same. We moved 3 years ago an hour and half north of our church to Tennessee and tried to find something like "home". The people here thought we were crazy to not want to put our babies in a nursery or "super church" or that we wouldn't just send them off on trips without us with the "teen group".. we have since started driving the 1 1/2 hours back to our home church and are praying about a job transfer back home!

As for your opposition I think we are all entiled to disagree with part of someones views. Again enjoyed your blog. Have a blessed day!
TJ Wilson said…
Coopers -
So glad you stopped by - and took time to comment. I truly appreciate your thoughts. We have seen church like VB describes work beautifully, though our own church is not set up this way. Incidentally, it's not his church ideas that incited me so.
Your family is just captivating, enjoyed your blog as well. Glad to meet you in blogsphere...