Bloom Where You're Planted


People are funny.
A couple of months ago a friend told me she might be moving into my neighborhood. When I expressed delight, she responded, "Yeah, we love the neighborhood, but we would never send our kids to your public school."
Ouch.
Last week I was in a coffee shop bent over my laptop when another friend approached me. She asked (directly, not making small talk) if I was happy with our public school.
I said,"It's really good. You know, there are so many good choices for schools, it's been a difficult decision for us, but we're really pleased with it at this point." I added that one of our favorite things about public school is getting to know the families in our neighborhood and how great they are.
She said, "Oh, see, I have never felt comfortable around those moms. They put on airs about having it all together and baking cookies from scratch..." (?) "I just want to tell them that I just like to take my kids to the park, that's what we do."
I was at a total loss.
I tried a couple of times to lighten the conversation (without sympathizing with her stereotypes) but it didn't work. For some reason she needed to communicate her lack of approval for the moms at our public school. I don't know who she's close to at our school, or what situations have defined her impressions. This is a darling friend who doesn't even live in our neighborhood, and seems to love the private school her children attend. I was quite taken back with her apparent dislike of the families at our school. And even more so that she felt like she needed to tell me!
So... this is not a pro-public school post.
If you're even remotely close to Corbin and me, you've heard me banter the pros and cons of nearly every school in Tarrant County. I have attended more "welcome to our school" coffees than I would care to count. I have literally taken several different moms to lunch just to hear their take on school choices. It has been a huge decision for Corbin and me. We've already done private (and were thrilled with it), and we've been in public for nearly two years now. We've researched traditional private schools, classical schools, and university model schools. We've looked into home schooling.
Most of my closest friends don't send their kids to public schools. I have a yellow legal pad in my desk drawer filled with notes and brainstorming "pros and cons" thoughts comparing schools in three categories: public, private and home school. And you know what? The lists are all about the same length.
For many reasons Corbin and I feel like our family is in the right school at this point. We have sensed affirmation from the Lord, from each other and from our kids. We are also aware that we have the freedom at any point, with the Lord's leading, to change directions with school, and we're taking it one year (one child, one semester) at a time.
I've considered posting about school since I started this blog, but quite honestly, it's been too sensitive a subject.
The point of this post, as I mentioned earlier, is not to promote public school. The point is to encourage you to consider your options, seek the Lord, and find the place that's best for you, then simply BLOOM WHERE YOU'RE PLANTED.
Even if you question it, or second-guess your decisions, or doubt your choice at times... you can always pick another garden. But in the meantime, ENJOY where you are in regards to school.
And don't worry about what friends might say. They really are friends (for the most part) and don't have a clue that you might be sensitive to someone dogging your school. OK, just kidding. Sorta.
A few thoughts if you're tackling this not-so-easy school decision:

1. If you're looking at kindergarten for your oldest and the rest of your kids are preschool age, only think about your oldest, and only think about this first year. It's not the end of the world to change schools later. It'll take pressure off if you don't have to think about this as a "twelve-year" decision.
2. Take one year at a time. Or one semester at a time.
3. Quit comparing yourself to other families (sound like I'm speaking from experience?)
4. Don't act like an expert if you're not.
5. School is not one-size-fits-all. Especially for Christian families. Your choice will totally depend on where you live and what schools are available to you, financially and otherwise.
6. Know that your school choice doesn't define you. I guarantee my home school friends break the stereotype, and I bet yours do, too. And I sure hope to break a stereotype of public school - especially if it's as terrible as my friend thinks! (I don't often bake chocolate chip cookies from scratch - that would be my friend who home schools, Sarah)

Ok, no more of the heavy.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Here's to hoping we can seize the opportunity to enjoy our precious little ones and bloom where we're planted!

Comments

nikki said…
great thoughts!!!i appreciate your example of this- especially of how you are also a "light" in the garden your're in!
Renae said…
Excellent post, excellent thoughts.
God is not a "cookie-cutter" God; I applaud you for being sensitive to the Holy Spirit and doing what you feel He has led your family to do. We home school, but - we take it year by year, semester by semester. As long as it keeps working for us, we will continue. But we are open to other options if/when homeschooling no longer seems the best choice for us.

As for the cookies, here is a tip for your friend: buy nice looking ones from the bakery, slap a doily on a pretty tray, spread them out in a pretty pattern, and no one will be the wiser! :-)

Thanks, TJ!
TJ Wilson said…
R - See, the great thing about Sarah is that she'll make them from scratch (recipe memorized) and then throw them on the counter with no fuss and frills. The doily would simply get in the way of four pairs of little-boy hands (and mine!).
So appreciate your thoughts on this!
Alyssa said…
TJ, this is great advice and applicable to many of life's situations. Love your thoughts.
Krista Sanders said…
Ditto to Nik. My first thought when I read this was the "garden" of your school is very well lit-blinding almost- because of the Wilson's presence and others too, I know. I
Sarah said…
thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, tj! i love hearing your wisdom. it's funny because i could sense the tension about schools when i lived in fort worth and i didn't even have any kids. we will have to make these decisions next year and although the decision isn't as complicated here, i will definitely borrow your wisdom.
TJ, thank you so much for talking about this! Even though Ellis is only three months (4 on Wednesday :) ), from time to time, I will think about schools. I know time flies, and I can hardly believe Ellis is a few months, so I am sure school time will be here before I know it. I was actually thinking the other day, "When this time comes, I need to sit down with TJ and pick her brain." So save those lists! :) My perspective is unique in that I went to a Christian private school for 13 years and worked in the public school system for 7, so I have seen both sides somewhat. It is nice though to have some concrete thoughts and ideas about how to approach this - I am excited to show Kent!

And just so you know, although my blog is not NEAR as eloquent as yours (it's mainly a memory book of Ellis so far, consisting of videos, pictures, stories... - small milestones like standing up, etc., that noone really cares about except parents :) ), here it is:

http://happymitchellfamily.blogspot.com/

I hope to make it into something more, as I love to write also, but for now, it is what it is. I am new to Blogging World. :)

Love you, Grace
Sars said…
TJ- I appreciate your thoughtfulness on this issue. I'm thankful to have you blazing the public school trail ahead of me, since it seems so counter-cultural in our little bubble, I'm sure if/when we do public school that your experiences will come in handy!
meh said…
Hey TJ, I love your willingness to speak from your heart about something that is a bit touchy at times but is also so very important! It has been interesting to see God shape and move each of our children through the years and we have several more years ahead of us to be amazed at how different each child's educational/spiritual needs are. We have now done all three methods with 2 of our kids, one child has been home schooled and public schooled, and the other one has been home schooled and Christian schooled. It isn't always easy to make the sacrifices that go in to these decisions (financial, social, time, different calendars for the siblings) but God willingly leads when we willingly seek Him! He never fails!!
TJ Wilson said…
MEH - YOU are the one who should be writing this post!
Them Chandlers said…
Great post. Thank you for writing it! We always said we would put our kids in public school...but because of my husband's schedule, he would never get to see our daughter, Audrey. So, we decided on a classical collaborative education (aka Christian private school 2 days a week and at home 2 days a week). We'll see how it goes!

I love the advice..."bloom where I'm planted." Thanks :)
Katie said…
TJ - I'm getting in late on this post but wanted to comment. As a person that grew up in public school and then worked at a private (university model) school as well as worked in ministry with kids from every type of school known to man, I agree that each family is different as is each school. To put a label on the people who attend public/private/home is just not fair. Also to put a label on the school is equally not fair. Each option has it's good qualities and it's bad (which I can list from memory and experience). I love your families heart to trust God with where He has you and to not be afraid to break assumptions.

So thanks for being honest.
Llama Momma said…
I'm sorry to say the tension isn't limited to Texas. Like you, most of our friends have chosen private school or home school. I've sat in circles of women listening to them say things like, "I could never send my kids to public school! It's like throwing them to the lions!" Or even more painful, "I love Johnny so much, homeschool was the only logical choice we could make."

Ouch.

I will say, our experience in our neighborhood school has been FANTASTIC. I am confident God has called us here, now, and that He is guiding our steps. I'm hoping to start a Moms in touch group at our school next year, and am getting really excited as I see so many people respond to the call to pray for our kids.

And the Lord has used this "exclusion" and pain in my life to convict me of my own pride, and judgements toward people who make different choices. I, too, need to guard my tongue and affirm the decisions other families make for their kids. After all, they are accountable only to God...certainly not to me!

Great post, TJ. You touch on one of the biggest dividing issues in our church with eloquence and grace.