Remembering 9/11




A journal entry written to Branson the week of 9/11, 6 years ago this week...

Sept 16, 2001
My sweet boy,
This has been a difficult week. So difficult, in fact, that it's taken me 5 days before I could write to you about it.
Last Tues, 9.11.01, our country was attacked by terrorists. I barely knew what the term terrorists meant until this week. Several groups of Islamic extremists hijacked American jets and proceeded to crash them into the two World Trade Center towers in NY, the Pentagon in D.C., and the 4th plane crashed in a field in Pennsylvania, possibly headed for the White House before passengers on board worked to gain control of the plane (or at least cause the hijackers to lose control). Thousands and thousands of Americans were killed . The news reports have been mind-boggling.
It's difficult to explain my emotions, especially concerning you... this little blonde, curly-headed 19-month old, running around with a big grin and not a care in the world. You are so beautiful, so curious and bright-eyed, it saddens me to think of how dark this world can be.
God's Word continues to renew my hope, especially through Psalm 46. He is in control, He knows. Daddy and I continue to pray that you will come to know Jesus at a young age. Not just for salvation, as that is our greatest desire for you. But also for the confidence and hope the Lord offers despite living in this crazy world.
We love you dearly, Bran, more than we could ever put in words. We will always love you.
Mommy

Psalm 46
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the Holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at the break of day.
Nations are in an uproar, kingdoms fall
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolation He has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; He breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.
"Be still and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.


Lord, we pray for our country today, for those moms and dads, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, grandparents and dear friends who continue to grieve the deaths of the victims. We pray for the hundreds of thousands affected by the ensuing war that continues even now... we believe you are the Lord Almighty, that you will be exalted in the earth. We believe you are with us, we thank you and praise you for your presence. You are our refuge and strength.

And Father, we continue our prayers for Branson, as well as for our other precious little ones... that as they grow older and their naivete' fades, that you will continue to reveal yourself to them as their refuge and strength!

Comments

spaghettipie said…
As a mother, you totally inspire me.

As a friend, you encourage me.

As a Christian, you motivate me.

I count it a privilege to walk alongside you during this time in our lives.
nikki said…
thank you for sharing this...and for causing me to pause and reflect...beautiful.
Alyssa said…
I echo what SP said and look forward to spending time with you at the conference this weekend. Your post makes me wish that I had been faithful about journaling during that time.
Krista Sanders said…
So sweet to get a glimpse into your mind and thoughts towards Bran "so long ago". Thanks for sharing...
TJ Wilson said…
Spag, Nik, BITS & K - scary how much your words encourage me. You guys inspire me and it is so fun to be blogging buddies. N&K = welcome to this addictive world - love your blogs!