Lessons from Hudson




Our baby boy started kindergarten this week. Hudson may not be the baby of the family, but he certainly is our baby boy. I was dreading Hud starting school more than I did Branson two years ago, something about that 2nd-born, sensitive spirit. He's already asked me to be his teacher for 1st grade so that he can "spend every day with me."
You see why he has my heart.
And yet I think he's ready to spread his wings a bit.

Basden and I went to recess Wednesday just to observe things. As she played on the playground with all the big kids, I noticed that Hud never left her side. He coaxed her down a long, winding slide, helped her across some monkey bars, and followed her every move. Finally about 20 minutes into recess, he ran to me and asked, "Mommy, do you mind staying with Basden for a little while and I'll go play with my friends?"
With the flash of a lopsided grin, he was off... leaving me touched that he felt responsible for taking such good care of his little sister.

In his first few days at school, Hud is bringing profound little nuggets of truth home for the rest of us.
Last night he saw me packing lunches and stopped me in the process.
"Mom, I can't take peanut butter sandwiches anymore in my lunch."
"Why not, Hud?"
"Becuase there's a boy in my class who's allergic to peanut butter."
"Oh really? And your teacher says you can't bring pb & j anymore?"
"No, the teacher didn't say anything, but he has to sit far away from anyone who has peanut butter. And that makes me sad. So I don't want to take it anymore."

I think this is what Paul might be referring to when he says,
"Everything is permissible - but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible - but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." 1 Corinthians 10:23-24
While it's permissible for Hudson to take peanut butter sandwiches (his favorite), he is choosing not to for the good of one other little boy, to protect his feelings and to be able to sit by him.
Thanks for the good word, Hud.

Comments

Jeanne Damoff said…
Precious! Thanks for sharing that story.
Alyssa said…
Nuggets of truth and a real life lesson out of the mouths of babes! I love it!
TJ Wilson said…
J & B -
Glad you stopped by... my kids are reinforcing Dan Allender's insights as to how kids raise their parents. Blessings.
nikki said…
have i told you lately that hud can for sure marry atlee? that story is about the cutest thing ever!!
spaghettipie said…
I love that story! Thanks for sharing, and what sweet pictures.
Blue Skies said…
Your story is the kind of fruit every Christian parent longs to see in their children. How awesome that you were able to get a glimpse of what has been poured into them coming out in their lives..
TJ Wilson said…
nik, spag & b skies - love that you stopped to comment. we're keeping our fingers crossed for an Anderson/ Wilson wedding at some point, and B Skies, I know you have many similar stories with your sweet girls. Spag - something tells me we are going to have LOTS to read on your blog regarding little M!
Katie said…
There's just something about the wisdom of a child . . .
TJ Wilson said…
Katie - which makes you the recipient of great wisdom!
Krista Sanders said…
Love your insight-- is that why I like you so much?? Share it more often!!
Randy Key said…
Hey TJ! Thanks so much for sharing these stories and photos. It's really fun to get to keep up with the Wilson's...even if it is through the internet! We love you guys - Randy and Lindsay