Sirens

Something I read today in a Bible study by Angela Thomas:

Every time I decide it's time to store up treasure in heaven, I am making a conscious decision to sacrifice treasure on earth. Maybe it's the treasure of a clean house, or the treasure of leisure, or the treasure I deposit into the bank. There is always a trade off. I ask God to give me a righteous balance. I need a Holy Spirit siren to go off inside my heart when I have not attended to kingdom treasure.

Oh, this resonates with me. Something important to me is invariably sacrificed when I take time to sit down one-on-one with my kids, or help a friend when it's not terribly convenient... and as selfish as I am with my time, my spirit is not content unless I'm making spiritual deposits. Lord, please help me hear those Holy Spirit sirens...and help me to heed them!

Comments

Alyssa said…
TJ - I love Angela Thomas! Her writing always strikes a chord with me, so thanks for sharing the advice on listening to the sirens.
spaghettipie said…
Isn't that true - there IS always a trade off. Hopefully I'll chose the right option the majority of the time!
TJ Wilson said…
B & S - this is my ever-persistent challenge, even in high school I remember wrestling with this concept. And B, glad to hear you're an AT fan, I have read her more in the past couple of years than anyone else, I get her writing.