On judgment...

We must be aware of believing that it is okay for us to condemn as long as we are condemning the right things. It is not so simple as all that. I can trust Jesus to go into the temple and drive out those who were profiting from religion, beating them with a rope. I cannot trust myself to do so.
- Dallas Willard

What would it be like to live a life free from judgment and assumptions about others? What benefit could my judgment possibly play in leading to others to Christ? Somehow Billy Graham has preached the Gospel for more than 6 decades all across the world without people feeling judged by him.

1 Cor 4:3-5
I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore, judge nothing before the appointed time; wait til the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

Judge nothing. Judge nothing. Judge nothing. If Christ commanded it, then perhaps it's possible for this to go from my head to my heart...

Comments

Alyssa said…
TJ - I definitely needed to hear that. I struggle with assumptions--assuming things about people based on little things I know about them. But you're words remind me that this is a form of judgment as well. Thanks for ministering to me!