Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What do you know about Wicca?


This is an interesting book, friends. I'm pretty uninformed with the world of witchcraft, especially how it manifests itself in today's culture. Ask me what I know about witches, and my mind goes to the Puritans in Salem in late 1600's. Or to Elizabeth Montgomery in the 60's. Or more recently to the Harry Potter book on our kitchen counter, or to the enchanting and winsome characters Justin, Alex and Max of Disney's "Wizards of Waverly Place."
I don't typically frequent the wicca section at Barnes and Noble. But Generation Hex is quite an eye-opener and one I'm glad I've read (and will likely re-read as my kids get older.) It raised my awareness of the explosion of Wicca in America and its popularity among children, teens and young adults:
Studies confirm that Wicca is the fastest-growing religion in America. By some estimates, it will be America's third-largest religion by 2012 (after Christianity and Judaism).

I was anxious to read Generation Hex, just released in July. My friend Marla Alupoaicei and I got together for dinner a couple of months ago in Dallas and she was able to fill me in a little on what she learned through researching and writing this book. Marla co-authored Generation Hex with her brother-in-law Dillon Burroughs, both DTS graduates.

The theme of the book, according to Dillon: "It’s simply one, two: “What is Wicca?” and “What Should I Do about Wicca?” In 176 pages, we cover the basic of what Wicca is, why it matters, and how to influence those involved in it with the love of Christ. I guess you could say it’s part awareness, part outreach."

One of Marla's goals for Generation Hex is to educate and equip Christians to know what Wicca is and what it is NOT so that we can teach our children about it, be aware of this powerful spiritual trend, and share God’s truth in a gracious way with those caught up in the practice of witchcraft.

So, if you're a parent or grandparent or work with children or youth or young adults at all (have I covered everyone?) there's a compelling reason to know about Wicca and what's going on in our culture. Generation Hex is thoroughly researched and is a simple yet informative tool.
For more Generation Hex reviews check out these blogs:

A Peek at My Bookshelf
Aspire2 Blog
Be My Guest
Bible Dude
Blog Tour Spot
Book Room Reviews
Camy’s Loft
Christy’s Book Blog
read DB
Fictionary
Footprints in the Sand
From the desk of Flutecrafter
Gatorskunz and Mudcats
Good Word Editing
His Reading List
i don’t believe in grammar
iamhealed.net
In the Dailies
Leap of Faith
Lighthouse Academy
L’Chaim
Morehead’s Musings
Mystery, Suspense, and God, Oh My!
One Voice in a Big World
Portrait of a Writer . . . Interrupted
Quiverfull Family
Reality Motherhood
Refresh My Soul
Reiter’s Block
The Friendly Book Nook
The Reel Katie Morgan
The Sosbee Story
Wide Eyed Fiction
Windows to my Soul
Write by Faith
Writing on the Edge